Cook the Book Fridays – Salted Olive Crisps

I knew I was going to make these, and needed to do so to get this done in time for tomorrow’s posting. As our weekend tends to sometimes, way led on to way, and two Tom Collins later I’m remembering I forgot to make this. Needless to say, this was easy enough to put together at a late hour, and after a few cocktails. Even warm and a little soft right before the second bake, I really enjoyed this.

I will say that I did bake the Crisps  (post baking) for a little longer and never could quite get these crispy. Delicious, yes, especially with a swipe of goat cheese. The earthiness of the Herbs de Provence was the perfect compliment to the earthy, but briny kalamata olives. I left out the nuts, which should be no surprise to anyone.

This entry was posted in Baking, Hors D'oeuvres, My Paris Kitchen | David Lebovitz and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Cook the Book Fridays – Salted Olive Crisps

1. Mine were definitely crispy right out of the over (both baking times needed to be extended in my opinion) but the next day and the day after that they were soft and needed re-crisping. Definitely lovely with goat cheese!

2. Nicole @ The 2nd 35 Years says:

I definitely agree with you Mardi!

3. Goat cheese and crisps is a delicious combination. My crisps were crunchy outside and soft inside, more like a toast.

4. Mary Hirsch says:

Goat cheese. Yes. Tom Collins. Those work also. I baked my loaf 15 minutes longer and could have baked them 5-10 minutes more. After cutting the slices, I did bake them according to David’s directions. Because they were not crispy enough, I put them under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. Voilà.
    Although delicious right out of the oven. Perfect with wine. They were not good the next day or the next. I toasted them but didn’t feel they were worth eating. That was a disappointment because I stored them according to David’s directions. I think we all had storage problems.

Luckily/unluckily we do paleo Monday through Friday so no need to worry about storing them.

Goat cheese sounds great. We had a little butter on some of ours, very tasty. The next day they were soggy and tasteless. Not sure what the problem is with that, but it seems everyone had the same situation. At least we tried them and it was interesting.

6. Emily says:

That plate-up of yours look tasty tasty! The stack I baked was everything the bakers said… but I did forget to add the one important herb…

7. Oh, goat cheese! YES. That sounds delicious and would certainly work well. I think I might do what Mardi suggested on her post, which is to have some slices frozen so I can more quickly have them ready when having guests over any old time. I agree, though, that they take longer than expected to get crisp. Gorgeous plate and I chuckled at baking these after a couple drinks. 🙂

Mine stayed crispy, though I let mine cool in a turned off oven overnight. I’ve been eating them plain, but now I want to try some with goat cheese. That sounds fabulous.

What a great idea to bake them that way! The goat cheese was great, but when is it ever not?