Cook the Book Friday – Chocolate Dulce de Leche Tart

Man this was delicious. Also, I have never had occasion to make Dulce de Leche before (tl, dr; put a can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot of simmering water for like 3.5 hours. The end.), and I could have just purchased La Lechera in the store (we have all sorts of things like that being so close to Cuba and the Caribbean), but why go the easy route? I have almost never taken the easy route. Complication helps me remain intellectually stimulated!

Obviously I was not careful about spreading the Dulce de Leche evenly in my tart shell because I was too obsessed with eating the rest of the can of Dulce de Leche.

My top looks mottled because of the Malden flakes I sprinkled on top… but the salt sprinkled into the crust and on top was a really nice added touch – it really helped to cut the richnesd of this. And that chocolate custard on top! Ummm… it was all so delicious, and my husband described it as the best brownie but not a brownie ever (ok? Not sure about his description but whatever…). ::Heart Eyes::

This entry was posted in Baking, Dessert, My Paris Kitchen | David Lebovitz and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Cook the Book Friday – Chocolate Dulce de Leche Tart

1. I wish that I have sprinkled more salt! I skimped on the salt as I was afraid it being too salty! We love this tart as it is not too sweet and it was very chocolaty delicious!
    How cute the way your husband called this tart a brownie! 🙂

2. I am totally with you on taking the challenge. I still marvel at the idea of turning a can of condensed milk into something else. Magic! Love that glossy finish on your tart.

3. Love your tart and so many of you made the dulce de leche from scratch well done. I just ran to the store :0)

Actually, I sent Hubby to the store and there was none. So that was all I needed to get me going on
    making my own. Since I had the condensed milk I was probably about $7. ahead of the game and the experience was well worth it. Yours looks great and I am sure it tasted as good as it looks.

Yes! You could make your own and sell it for a mark up at farmer’s markets… no one would be the wiser! Ha!

5. Mary Hirsch says:

Uh oh, you had your condensed milk in the water bath much longer than others, didn’t you? What’s up about that? I haven’t made this tart yet but do want to make my own dulce de leche. I agree with your husband…a magnificent brownie. Nice job.

I used Pioneer Woman’s guidelines (somehow missed David’s) and it turned out ok so not sure. It was delicious!

I think your husband’s description is perfect. This was so delicious. And I really enjoyed learning to make dulce de leche. I did it in the slow cooker for 10 hours. So so simple.

I’ll make my own next time – I was short on time when I made this, unfortunately. This was wonderful!

8. Haha, I did the La Lechera thing (due to my relative proximity to Mexico). It was good and I really needed it to be the easy way. 🙂 yours looks awesome and I’ll have to try and make my own dulce de leche sometime!