Tuesdays With Dorie – Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

If you have not heard, Dorie Greenspan has just released a new book – Dorie’s Cookies! And of course we are adding this book to our rotation, in the alternating weeks where we are not working through Baking Chez Moi. If you wish to join us, check out our site here. All you need to do is pick up a copy of the book and bake along to the multitude of cookie and cookie bar recipes. Yum!

One of our very first recipes is Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (I am officially naming these “Dorieos” 😄), a homemade version of the infamous Oreo. I loved Oreos as a kid, so when we had a chance to choose this as a first recipe I totally jumped all over it. Exhibit A:

The best way to eat them is always by twisting them apart!

This version, though, is better than Oreos, in my opinion anyway. And they really are so easy to make! Mix your dough, roll it out into two pieces, freeze it, cut your cookie pieces, bake them, fill them, and chill them so you do not get filling all over your hands. (Though if you do, skip chilling them… who am I to judge?) If you wish to try these for yourself, you may find the recipe here.

I really really enjoyed these, and thought they had better depth of flavor than traditional Oreos, and of course you would expect that from any Dorie recipe. Also, the cookies were hard but not as crisp as Oreos, which I definitely prefer. I actually baked them at the low end of the time range for just that purpose. And I got them done just in time before I had to switch back to Paleo for the work week. I hope there will be some “Dorieos” left at the weekend, but if not we will be baking up another delicious storm from Baking Chez Moi!

This entry was posted in Baking, Dessert and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

1. Hindy says:

Dorieos – how perfect! Yours look gorgeous!

2. Busy Oven says:

Your Dorieos look delicious!

Dorios! Love it. You made me crack up! Your cookies look and sound delicious. I’m looking forward to making these.

4. pampinnav says:

Adorable picture! And Dorieos…what a perfect name!

5. awarmhello says:

I love it! Dorios! Your cookies look beautiful. And I love the old photo of you eating Oreos. I’m going to have to make these!

6. Amy says:

Dorieos, what a perfect name!!

Your sister-in-law has good taste. I love the name Dorieos! And that picture is priceless, the best post yet. We loved these cookies too and would expect no less from Dorie.

8. Kayte says:

Great photo of the cookies…and of the cookie-eater! Dorieos is just too fun…love it! Happy to hear they are a bit softer than the Oreo version, that seems like it would be a good thing, and nice to know so I don’t feel like I have to make them rock hard to have them be “done.”

Dorieos-perfect! Yours look perfect – love the filling to cookie ratio, it looks elegant. I enjoyed these much more than Oreos and I’m very happy to have a stash of the pre-cut dough in the freezer, ready to go, now. Love the photo of your tiny cookie-monster days!

I love the name “Dorieos’! Great photo of you tucking into Oreos. I look forward to making these.

11. “Dorieos”…super cute! Your cookies look perfect…great job!!