Tuesdays With Dorie – Philadelphia Blueberry Tart

When I was a kid my dad would often take me and my brother bike riding. Probably to give my mom some well-deserved time and space. We used to go riding on the Vanderbilt Motor Parkway, which was originally built to connect the Gold Coast mansions on the North Shore of Long Island for all the party goers in the early part of the last century. With time, the toll road fell out of use, but became a way to link the major parks. So we used to start up at Alley Pond Park, and ride for miles. Along the way we would stop and pick wild raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. We would always promise to bring some home to make pancakes, but who can resist sun-warmed wild berries? They truly are the best. Later on we spent a few Labor day weekends at a family camp up in the Catskills, and there was always a blueberry picking expedition. It was always a treasure hunt for me!

Side note… I never ate PB&J sandwiches… outrightly refused. Ugh that texture. That taste. ::shudder:: Instead, my mother made me Philadelphia Cream cheese and Jelly sandwiches.

You will notice I left off the corn. I hate everything about corn except if it is popped at the movie theater and you can personally add a gratuitous amount of butter-flavored oil to it (amirite??).

I did quite like this tart, even if I have been craving cake for two weeks now. Loved the creamy base, which was the perfect foil for the delicate blueberries. The rosemary in the jam evokes the slightest woodsy-ness, which brings back the smell of the pine and evergreen on those crisp early morning blueberry hunts, with the crunch of dried leaves underfoot. And overall very simple assembly and process. I always roll out the dough, rather than press it out by hand so that there are scraps to snack on. I can’t be the only one.

This entry was posted in Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Philadelphia Blueberry Tart

1. I can imagine the smell of pine on a blueberry hunt. I do like the sprig of rosemary in the blueberry jam, although only a faint smell of woodsy-ness. Rolling the dough seems to work better for me most of the time. Lovely picture of the tart.

I am glad that your tart looks like mine rather than the photo in the book. I used the corn and it was OK, but a little odd. I loved the filling to this tart, which could be used in so many ways.

If I have chilled it before cutting into it, I could have gotten the nice clean cuts, but I thought the blueberries dripping was more to the point!

3. yum–that looks so good! i used to go berry picking with my mom and grandma every summer…so much fun, and i’d eat more than i brought home.

4. So going to try cream cheese and jam sandwiches-that sounds great!

They were pretty great as a kid! I used to “serve tea” to my sitter and make these into finger sandwiches. Ha!

My son is allergic to peanut butter so I used to make him cream cheese and jam sandwiches. Blueberry picking sounds fun, I have not had the opportunity. Zosia had a good recommendation about the pops.

Yes! I saw Zosia’so recommendation… also saw that Mardi had trouble with her pop molds, so miget be a better idea to just use little ramekins. We will see how adventurous I feel in 2 weeks. Lol!

One of my daughters agrees with you about corn and wouldn’t go near the tart. She would have enjoyed a slice of yours!

7. Wow, your tart looks fabulous! And I plan to leave off the corn too. Yay, Team No Corn!