Cook the Book Fridays – Peach Crumble Tart

So yeah, not a single apricot to be had. Instead I used peaches, which turned out well enough. Of course, I didn’t get to make the apricot kernel ice cream either for obvious reasons. I was so looking forward to it, so I will have to be very diligent when apricot season rolls around next year… didn’t you need 50 kernels??

Anyway, when we make a new recipe, I often like to Google it to see if anyone else has made it, and what it looks like. I definitely eat with my eyes. I did find this recipe from David’s website which is pretty similar, but has marzipan in the crumble. Um, yes please. When I was little, my dad would buy my mom those pretty painted marzipan candies from the German bakery in our neighborhood, which, of course, she would never share with us kids. I don’t recall where I ever had my first taste, but it has always been a favorite of mine. Marzipan seems to be one of those flavors that seem to be part of my DNA… something you are born wanting to always eat.  Since we had no apricot kernel ice cream wanted to do something special.

The tart was delicious… the crumble really made it special, and the peaches were good this time, despite travelling 3000 miles from California! I did find the fruit stand again but it was on the other side of the street as we were driving by, and my husband didn’t want to u-turn. Oh well. The subtle almond notes repeated themselves throughout, which I always do love. My only complaint is that, while I only barely baked my shell, it did come out a little over baked for my taste during the second bake with the fruit. I think I will choose to shorten the second bake the next time.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Cook the Book Fridays – Peach Crumble Tart

1. I agree that the crumble was fantastic! I didn’t bother with the ice cream either but I didn’t miss it! Yours looks super! šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

2. I like the look with the dark spots and bigger pieces of almond on the crumble top. They stand out and have a certain appeal to me. Your peach tart looks absolutely delicious!

3. Nicole your Peach tart looks gorgeous. I was quite lucky, my farmer’s market had beautiful apricots…I felt as though they were there just for me. I plan on eating apricots till I collect the 50 pits needed or at least 25 for half a batch.

That is pretty much my plan for next apricot season. Either de-pit them and freeze the apricots until needed, or we will be eating a lot of apricots! šŸ˜ƒ

4. My crust got a bit overcooked this time around as well, though I don’t recall having that problem last time. Oh well, it still tasted yummy.

And I think marzipan is one of those love it or hate it kind of things. Very popular here in Germany, but I’m more than happy to let others have my share:-)

Your tart looks wonderful, I love a well done dessert. Actually, I think mine was too well done,
    but tasted good all the same.

I’m in the “love” camp for marzipan.I had the opposite issue, my tart took FOREVER to bake. Love knowing this works with peaches.

7. Ei says:

Mmm…marzipan! I love it, and it seems a natural complement to peaches. Your tart looks great. Apricots are long gone here, so once I get back from vacation, I was planning to go the peach route. Glad to know it works!

Mine took a little longer to bake than in the recipe and the crust was just the perfect amount of brown for me. I think this would be just as lovely with peaches as apricots. I think I’ll be saving up apricot kernels for next year, too – from two pounds, I only got 14.

9. I bet it was so nice with peaches! It looks gorgeous, despite it being a bit over baked to your tastes.

10. Emily says:

It has been ages since I last made crumble… so this was a real treat. Your result looks great with only a bit darker brown spots here and there!

11. Kitchen Conundrum says:

I love the idea of using peaches. The apricots I used were just a tad too bitter. But the ice cream is divine and I would highly recommend it!

12. Peaches make a great subsitiute and I think your tart looks delicious. I would really like to try the ice cream so I guess I need to start collecting kernels!

13. Mary Hirsch says:

It worried me a bit when David suggested that the lip of the crust would be very dark. I wanted to get the crust baked sufficiently before dumping fruit (Cherries) into the shell. I baked it exactly to his directions. (Usually in the high altitude I need to cook it hotter and longer. ) I wanted to get the crumble crusty enough because that was the best part! Peaches sound good also.

14. hawley32 says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you- I thought I was the only one who overdid my crust!!! I too used peaches and plums for the filling, it was good. This is a great recipe that I think you could use any filling for. I look forward to trying the apricot one sometime.