Cook the Book Fridays – Salted Butter Caramel-Chocolate Mousse

This can go one of two ways. Either I am licking the tiniest bit of this off the tip of my spoon to make this deliciousness last, or I risk slathering this all over me like a baby learning to eat. Like Lady Gaga has shown us, you should wear the food you enjoy. Make it a statement of your undying commitment.

I also love the flavor combination of caramel and chocolate, which is apparent but not at all cloying in this dessert (though I recommend using a bittersweet chocolate to mitigate any potential richness). Splitting this into six servings creates (IMHO) a perfectly sized portion… just enough and not too much. And really, this is another example of how you can have a simple and uninvolved technique really yield a very elegant and perceivedly difficult, time-intensive dessert. It will be your secret that you barely had to lift a finger when company comes. Rather, they will be admiring (and clamoring for) your velvetty textured, rich, silky, delicious mousse. Just remember to disclose the raw eggs in case you have guests that are sensitive to such things.

Epicurious has this recipe posted here in case your sweet tooth strikes.

This entry was posted in Dessert, My Paris Kitchen | David Lebovitz and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Cook the Book Fridays – Salted Butter Caramel-Chocolate Mousse

1. Mary Hirsch says:

You said so many good things in such a few words. Your ‘a simple and uninvolved technique really yields a very elegant and perceivably difficult, time-intensive dessert” is spot on. I was surprised how easy it was to put together. Also, bittersweet chocolate, at least 60%, Yes. I love Lady Gaga.

2. That looks absolutely delicious! I can almost taste it just by looking at your photo!
    I can’t wait to try it.

3. Raw eggs gave me pause, I have to admit. But after tasting the “velvetty and silky” mousse, you can forget all the details. The bite off the tip of the spoon is so enticing.

4. This was fantastic. I was stunned by how easy it was! 👍

This one is definitely work the effort (not much) as the result is so so good! I’m going to add the link to the recipe in my post.

6. Emily says:

This was decadent, super easy to put together. I would prefer all of it in me than on me though! Love your glass vessel!

This is a cook’s secret weapon for dinner parties, isn’t it? There are so many desserts we perceive as elegant and out-of-reach that are easier than ones we think of as everyday treats. I love your presentation!

8. Nicole, what a funny post! I can imagine almost deadpan humor with the Lady Gaga quip and the baby slathering food. 🙂 I’m glad the caramel is meant to be more subtle. I thought it would be a bit more pronounced and was thinking that was part of why we weren’t huge fans…and that maybe I’d not cooked the caramel long enough. Anyway, I also want to say that those martini glasses are gorgeous!

I don’t know why but the imagery of Lady Gaga and her meat dress seemed appropriate!

9. Karen says:

I split my mousse into four adult-sized and one kid-sized portion, and they were a little too generous (not that we didn’t finish our servings!). Next time I will stick with the suggested 6 servings. We loved this one too.

10. hawley32 says:

It was very good- wasn’t it- good point about the raw eggs!