Tuesdays With Dorie – Cocoa Crunch Meringue Cookies

Let’s be honest. If there are two options, and one of the options is chocolate, I will almost always choose the chocolate option. I also find that, the older I get, the more I prefer dark chocolate.

The little bits of almonds were a perfect counterpoint to the dark and creamy ganache. The meringue cookies were similar in consistency to macarons, but better. I feel like these are a great riff on macarons for people like me who are not huge fans of them (There. I said it. For all the effort, they are all just too… much). And while I don’t mind spending a lot of time making a dessert, I want to enjoy a dessert in direct proportion to the amount of time I spent working on it. If I spent a lot of time making something but then didn’t enjoy it, I am not a happy person. These look like a lot of effort but they were really delicious. I only wish they were bigger, or yielded more. Perhaps it is good that they only yielded 8… they don’t keep well, so they need to be eaten rather quickly. That, and it is easy to keep eating these.

What did you think of these, dear reader?

This entry was posted in Baking, Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Cocoa Crunch Meringue Cookies

1. Your comments are interesting because I thought these tasted exactly like macarons (different texture but same taste) – I mean it’s the same ingredients, after all. I make macarons a lot – I teach classes – and I’m amazed how popular they still are! that said, I will totally be telling people that it’s ok if your macarons fail because then you can call them “meringue cookies” LOL!

You are right that they are essentially the same ingredients, but all of the macarons I have made have been just too sickeningly sweet. I have done Bouchon Bakery and Gourmet Mag, and ChefSteps with the same results. Everyone else seems to love them but ms!

2. These look delicious 😍 I have to agree with you about dark chocolate, when I was younger (even a year ago) I hated it, now I love it!

3. It’s funny how our tastes change as we… mature 🙂 I have come to appreciate dark chocolate as well.
    I’m not a macaron fan either! I think that’s why I went with the galette to start with. But they sure do look good! I think for our family of 5 I might have to double the recipe to keep everyone happy.

4. These tasted great and yours look just perfect. I have to make them again since I was not happy with the look. My family did not even notice it, maybe because I did not show them the photo in the book.

5. True and you just have to get it out of your system

6. I’ll go the chocolate option too. These look crunchy and earthy. Macarons may be better looking, but so coyly sweet. These cookies offer, perhaps, the right balance of effort, taste and look.

I agree and am so glad to hear i am not the only person that thinks macarons are too sweet.

7. I also wish it yielded more… More to share with your work team! 😍

I look forward to making these next. Sounds like everyone is wishing they had doubled the recipe.

9. I am looking forward to making these…funny I am the same way as you when it comes to chocolate…Not sure why I didn’t make these first too…t guess I just followed the recipes as listed haha!

I’m the opposite, I go for fruit before chocolate. Your photo really captures the difference in texture between the crisp cookie and creamy filling. beautiful!

11. Karen says:

I will be making these next week – I am glad to know they are good. Yours certainly look delicious!

LOL – it is possibly good that there were only 8 – they are the kind of thing I could keep eating!

13. peggythebaker says:

These look great! I’ve never made macarons but was really interested in Dorie’s comments in the book about them. Also, when I heard her speak a year or so ago, she again said that she hadn’t wanted to include a recipe in the book for macarons because she didn’t have confidence in her ability to make them! And that she took a whole one-day class to try to get herself up to speed! As for me, the only macarons I’ve eaten are from some lovely French bakeries in the Seattle and Portland and I agree that I wasn’t as big a fan as I thought I might be. All that being said, I’m looking forward to making these meringue cookies next week!

Your meringue cookies look terrific and delicious! I have to agree with you about macarons and I’ve had them from Laudree (purportedly one of the best macaron makers in Paris) and thought them too sweet too. I’m a bit of a chocoholic so I’m looking forward to making these after reading your post.