Tuesdays With Dorie – Matcha Financiers

To say I was dubious about making these was a major understatement. My concern wasn’t about the financiers, but rather the matcha. When I read through the participant’s blogs from last time, some folks thought they were pretty grassy. And of course myself, a matcha luddite, was thinking matcha was mate, the onerous, grassy South American tea that I tried in 4th grade at our International Festival.

Matcha is hard to find, and I really didn’t want to make a huge financial commitment to something I may not even like. I was preparing to find other ways to make these (maybe Earl Grey tea instead), when I finally found matcha in tea bag format in a little beachside grocery store. Still dubious, I figured that if I didn’t like it I could ship the tea to my mother and chuck the financiers. So I bought it. I went all in, figuring I had to know.

To be honest I did hedge my bets by adding chopped Callebaut white chocolate to the financiers in hopes of liking these a little. And I did have to mortar and pestle the tea leaves a little to grind them up finely. I didn’t even butter and flour the pan… I just PAM sprayed it, because why spend all that time when I won’t like them? I almost forgot to take them out of the oven, I was so lackadaisical about making these.

And then a curious thing happened. I liked them. And they weren’t grassy (well, to me anyway) (was it because I used the whole leaf vs some of the culinary grade powder that others used?) though they were speckled with the ground matcha leaves. The sugar in the cakes caramelized on the outside, but left a lovely soft cake-y center. I am glad I made these, for sure. I might even make these again, and I might even be convinced to try matcha in other desserts.

This entry was posted in Baking, Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Matcha Financiers

1. I really like the colour of your little cakes. Mine were so green it kind of put me off!
    I wish I liked the matcha, there are so many recipes with it these days.

I would have been put off too if the batter was very green. I barely had the nerve to make these!

2. Busy Oven says:

I’m glad everything worked out for you, even if you thought you were being lackadaisical about it! I love those types of surprises!

3. Cher says:

I like a food story with a happy ending 🙂
    Nice job!

4. Amy says:

So glad the matcha worked out well for you. I was worried about it after reading other posts as well so I left it out and used vanilla instead. Maybe I’ll give it a try next time.

5. Isn’t it awesome when you get a surprise like that, and something that you think will be icky turns out lovely? Great idea to use tea-bagged matcha! And white chocolate, because chocolate!

I didn’t realize you could get matcha in leaf form but I love how it’s speckled throughout your cute little cakes.

Your little cakes look very cool despite you being lackadaisical and not sure.

I felt the same way going in to this recipe and I was really surprised they were so go.

9. I like recipe that makes you think, improvise and adapt, the way you approach this recipe. Happy results make it all the more worthwhile.

Don’tcha love it when you are surprised by something! That is what I love about baking and cooking in groups – it makes me explore things I would otherwise not go near, and I am often surprised in a good way.

11. I had the same thoughts heading into this recipe…your expectation of not liking them made me laugh…and of course we both added chocolate because, why not right?? 🙂