Tuesdays With Dorie – Odile’s Fresh Orange Cake

We are in the thick of orange season here in Florida, so I was excited to make this cake. This is truly the definition of a simple cake, which, in and of itself came together in just a few minutes. Simplicity in assemblage and appearance is not the same as simplicity in taste, however. This was bursting with flavor!

Originally I set down the path of making the poached orange topping, but since I used smaller local oranges, I would have needed a whole bag just to make that topping, and shaping them was so wasteful of the rest of the oranges. This was not entirely “fruitless”, as I found my arms and chin dripping in orange juice as I slurped up the remainder of the oranges in the skins. So delicious. So sweet. So juicy. Nothing like it. Anyway. No poached orange topping, so I instead used the poaching liquid to soak the cake, and then ended with the marmalade glaze.

In the end this cake was so delicious. I could barely restrain myself from eating the whole thing at once. It was so light and so refreshing, especially enjoyed with a glass of sparkling something on your warm, sunny patio. In fact I made this again last night for a potluck we are having at work today, and it was just so easy to quickly assemble as before, if not quicker having done it once before.

This entry was posted in Baking, Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Odile’s Fresh Orange Cake

1. This is a recipe to keep in your back pocket, isn’t it? I know I’ll be making it again and again!

2. Busy Oven says:

How great is it to be able to use local fruits? Especially Florida oranges! Your cake looks great!

3. I’m excited to hear it tastes good! I can’t wait to try it after reading everyone’s reviews! It looks like it’s bursting with flavor.

I did the same as you with the oranges, I was eating all the pulp left over from the cuttings and trimmings. I thought by the time this is baked I would be sick of oranges. Who am I kidding,
    I enjoyed every bit of a delicious slice. Yours turned out lovely, that glaze is perfect.

Your cake looks delicious and sounds even better on the patio specially with that glass of sparkling something, what a terrific idea!

I like the look of your alternative topping – the marmalade would have amped up the orange flavour.

7. I started trying to do the poached orange slices and found it too trying. Very few cakes are so simple, refreshing and delicious. And paired well with sprinkling something! I think we’ve just found one.

This is a perfect potluck cake – easy to put together and with a big ‘wow’ factor when people dig in.

It wound up being pretty popular. People were a little hesitant at first but wound up loving it.

9. Tricia S says:

So fun to see it with the orange marmalade glazing- lovely !! And I am uber jealous of your fresh oranges. I had scored blood oranges but also picked up some naval at the local market and the naval ones were quite tasteless. Hit or miss. But there is nothing like a juicy fresh orange. Plus the cake – great little recipe and I think I am especially partial to the backstory and it being so typically homemade and simple. Awesome job ~

Thanks Tricia… sorry to hear your navel oranges were bland. That is no good, and definitely not tasty. :- (

10. yes to having this with a glass of something sparkling! i can tell you really enjoyed this one, and it looks super-great with a marmalade glaze.

Your cake is so very pretty and sunny, and I like the picture you paint of enjoying it on your patio with a little something sparkling to sip.

Nicole thanks for sympathizing with me about my baking challenges this week. I feel more normal:) I should make this again with the poached oranges.

13. Oooh, a marmalade glaze — what a great idea! And I’m so jelly about your fresh oranges — must be heaven!