My Paris Kitchen – Roasted Cauliflower with Dukkah

Yesterday was the 6 month anniversary of our relocation to Florida. I often stand on the beach and look out at the ocean, thinking that at the other end of the ocean is North Africa.

Tonight the cooking adventure was Roasted Cauliflower with Dukkah, an Egyptian condiment. My husband and I are huge fans of Middle Eastern food and spices, and though I am not a huge fan of cauliflower, I thought I should give this a go for the sake of getting through every recipe.

I couldn’t find hazlenuts (surprisingly most stores only carry them seasonally here) so subbed out almonds instead. I thought that the flavor was not bright enough, so I added sumac, another middle east spice (my absolute favorite, I don’t mind saying). I also made this a paste with the addition of olive oil. I paired this with a few slices of marinated leg of lamb, which seemed in keeping with the theme of middle eastern types of foods. We drank a 2013 “Elouan”, a big, fruity, delicious Oregon Pinot Noir with it.

The dukkah did nothing to convince me that cauliflower, like tofu, is anything but a vehicle for whatever flavors you cook it with. I felt a bit like I was eating bird seed, and I wasn’t really bowled over by the flavors of this condiment. My husband quite liked it, but I can’t really understand why everyone was so mad to try this so quickly… I felt as “meh” about the dish after trying it as I suspected I would when we learned we were making this. Well, you win some and you lose some.

This entry was posted in My Paris Kitchen | David Lebovitz, Sides and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to My Paris Kitchen – Roasted Cauliflower with Dukkah

It’s too bad this one didn’t work for you. I loved it, but I’ve always loved cauliflower, too.

Sorry this didn’t work out for you, but at least Hubby enjoyed it.

3. Cher says:

I was looking forward to it, but I like cauliflower a lot. Sorry it wasn’t a hit for you. I certainly have my share of foods that I feel that way about.

The pinot noir sounds like a winner 🙂

4. That’s funny, I look often stand looking out at Manly beach and think New Zealand is our closest neighbour! Not quite as exotic as Africa 🙂
    I didn’t add nuts to mine as the kids have nut allergies so I was pretty much eating bird seed! I didn’t mind it, but I have seen it one every menu over here for so long I was keen to finally try it!

Sorry this wasn’t a favorite. But there’s always next week!

Always! I loved the last one and I am looking good forward to the next one. Onward and upward!

6. Emily says:

Hi Nicole,
    I would like to say…. perhaps it needed extra ‘heat’ …. Till the next recipe then 🙂