Tuesdays With Dorie – Hot Chocolate Panna Cotta

I desperately wanted this to be pudding from a consistency standpoint, but it wasn’t. The texture was slightly grainy and by day two there was a rather suspect skin on top. That being said, it was delicious, and the application of chocolate here was enough to win me over for this dessert. The only hot chocolate that I have had better than this tasted was in France (naturalmente). This panna cotta seemed less jell-o-y than the Vanilla Mango Panna Cotta that we did earlier, too, which is ok by me. And of course I do not know of any hot chocolate that isn’t made better by the addition of whipped cream. Do you? I didn’t think so.

I loved that this was incredibly easy to put together, in the same vein as “oh hey, let me just finish putting this together before we head out to do grocery shopping” easy. That is pretty much exactly what happened.

The glasses are antique or vintage, handed down from a family friend whose mother passed away. I got a little over exuberant with filling these, so it only yielded 5.

What did you think?

This entry was posted in Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Hot Chocolate Panna Cotta

What lovely glasses! I’m with you on the whipped cream.

Your glasses are gorgeous – your panna cotta look so elegant.

3. I think I was hoping for a pudding as well and had to remind myself it was panna cotta. I loved the taste, I was surprised by how much it tasted like hot chocolate and how easy it was to make!
    I love the glasses, they are beautiful!

4. Love your gorgeous vintage glasses, and your panna cotta looks luscious! The texture surprised me, too…although I loved it, it did tend to be a bit grainy! It seemed like the chocolate didn’t totally melt.

You did your family friend justice by over filling them:) I agree that these were better than the mango panna cotta. And yes whipped cream makes everything better.

6. such pretty glasses! i skipped this one…but if i had made it, it definitely would have been cream-topped!

7. Karen says:

Your panna cotta looks so pretty in those glasses! I will be making my this weekend and I am looking forward to it.

8. Cher says:

The glasses are lovely.
    This one was interesting – I think I prefer the standard panna cottas, but it was fun to try.

Your panna cotta looks very luscious and elegant in those glasses. Whipped cream sounds like a great idea. I wish I had thought of it. Yumm!

10. Tricia S says:

You had me at those gorgeous glasses- wow !! Beautiful presentation and so nice to hear there was a lovely backstory and you got them from a friend (not that I would have liked them less if you said “Homegoods”, but it makes them more special indeed :)) Agreed about the texture and suspect skin that came with time but it did not slow down the taste testers. Chocolate always get the thumbs up around here.

Lovely presentation! I really enjoyed this one. I thought the lack of eggy-ness helped highlight the hot chocolate flavour.