Tuesdays With Dorie – Fluted Carrot Tangerine Cake

You see this slice of cake? It is pretty much the only whole piece of cake. Why, you may ask? Because when I was turning it over on the cooling rack, the whole thing broke, in some horrible slow-motion, time stopping, incident. My husband thought I should make another one, but I thought I had at least one slice that I could take a picture of. I don’t even know how it happened… I suppose I was being careless, and I should have known something would happen, with as delicate as it was coming out of the pan.

Delicacy aside, the cake was delicious… even in pieces. Being in Florida I used Florida oranges. I know the recipe called potentially for Clementines but the only ones available were from California and looking rather pitiful. It just seems irresponsible to not use Florida citrus!

I have to admit that I was a little wary of this cake, but now I wish there was more of it. Maybe I should have made that second cake after all… This would be perfect as part of a luncheon buffet, or part of a tea service. I love that this is so light, which seems perfect coming out of all the ultra-rich holiday food.

I really look forward to making the lemon bars next. One of my favorite finger desserts ever!

This entry was posted in Baking, Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Fluted Carrot Tangerine Cake

1. Busy Oven says:

Sorry about your cake…and I’m even sorrier for laughing out loud while reading about how it broke in slow-motion as it was being inverted…I know that feeling. On the bright side, you salvaged a very beautiful slice, and I’m glad that it tasted great!

2. Sorry about your cake. I like your Jackson Pollock look.

3. Boo for breaking the cake 😦 I have two cooling racks for that purpose so I can flip them with ease. I guess you’ll just have to make it again!

I have three cooling racks and didn’t of that for whatever reason. I guess I will have to make it again. Darn. 🙂

The best thing about this cake is how light and deliciously it is and no amount of breaking it into pieces will reduce its charms. Your slice looks gorgeous and delectable and I bet the rest of it was just as good. I’m making this again too because it is so good.

5. *read out loud in slo-mo voice* Nooooo, not the caaaaaaake!
    And I totally wouldn’t have made a second cake either. Even in pieces, this cake would have been good! And Florida oranges must have made it even better. 🙂

Yeah that is about how it happened. I did not write the string of obscenities that came after the cake breaking! It was definitely still delicious!

Don’cha hate that when that happens! I am sure it has happened to us all. In any event, that single slice looks absolutely perfect.

7. I’m so glad I’m not the only one who drops things in the kitchen!
    The slice you salvaged looks fantastic!

Your cake looks incredibly light and fluffy and delicious. I’d love a slice for afternoon tea.

This was such a simple cake and it did turn out light and fluffy. We enjoyed every bit, it
    was so good. Sorry that you had a problem flipping it, but that just happens sometime.

10. Glad I used a pan with a removable bottom-no flipping! Orange isn’t my favorite flavor so I opted for lemon but am thinking I may make it again since I am now the proud owner of a box of clementines! You are a thoughtful person to want to use only Florida citrus, but here in Virginia, we do not have our own to pick from-my clementines are apparently from Spain.

Clementines are the best. One of my favorite fruit times of the year regardless of where they come from!

I am learning a lot from my fellow bakers. I will be careful with the delicate cake. The lemon bars are the opposite of delicate:) I agree that local ingredients are best.

12. oh no! this was a good one– i’m glad you were able to salvage a piece. 🙂

13. We can all relate! It was such a yummy cake…didn’t matter if it was in pieces haha!