Tuesdays With Dorie – Apple Pielettes

To own the truth I am starting to want more cakes and chocolates and non-fruit pastries at this time of the year. I know that living in a warm climate makes that statement counterintuitive, but there it is. Biologically I am getting ready for the cold!

For now I made these apple pielettes. I grated some fresh cinnamon into these for a kick, and added some cloves. I left out the dried apricot (meh) but used apricot preserves (my favorite). I couldn’t quite figure out sealing these bad boys up, and hoped that if I smooshed the top and bottom together sufficiently that they would seal together in the baking. Not so much the case, leading to what Dorie annointed a “happy accident”, as sugar and preserves oozed out of the sides, resulting in some delicious caramelization.

I am a huge fan of the incredibly diverse galette dough, though I might err on the side of adding a little more sugar than was called for in this main recipe. Once baked, these little shells were flaky and crumbled under the slightest pressure from splitting a pielette in two for photos. I only wish I could have figured out the sealing a bit better to allow for a more fully stuffed dessert. At any rate, served with a scoop of Haagen Daas caramel ice cream, these sweet treats are a sure hit on anyone’s Thanksgiving dessert buffet!

If you would like the recipe for yourself, you may find a copy on Dorie’s website
Of course you can really add whatever you please, but if you are talking an enclosed pie, I really could only have it one way – with apple.

This entry was posted in Baking, Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Apple Pielettes

1. I like the ease and versatility of the galette dough. I am a fan too. Can’t tell the sealings were not secure. Didn’t matter. Your pielettes look perfect.

2. Busy Oven says:

Your pielettes look delicious! I like the color you got in the crust. I love cakes, too, but I’m glad we got to bake these pielettes; I’d much rather work with 3-inch circles of dough than 9-inch ones!

Your pieettes look sweet! Literally and figuratively. Using the turbinado sugar was a great ide. I’ll have to file that one away for another time.

4. They look terrific, I think. I had some leakage along the seal, too, but it didn’t bother me too much. (ps: I totally crave chocolate most of all this time of year!)

I love that galette dough too – it handles so easily and bakes up beautifully, as it did in your cute little pielettes.

I love the color of your pielettes and with the apple juices dripping, it makes it perfect. We loved
    these little pies, and I loved working with the galette dough.

Mine didn’t seal perfectly either, but it was part of the charm, right? I love your photo with the broken-open pielette in the middle.

8. Tricia S says:

I am joining the group of those with sealing issues – LOL but I know this is not helped because of the millions of kitchen gadgets I own, evidently I don’t have a circle cutter. So the cup I used was a bit small and I was already playing too much with dough to ask special favors from it πŸ™‚ But happy accident indeed and they were a big winner. And I know what you mean about heading away from summer fruits, but apples = autumn to me so they get a bye πŸ™‚

I think a larger than 3 inch cutter was in order. It was hard to seal and I didn’t over fill. Haagen Daas caramel ice cream sounds like a great side too. These needed something to fill the moisture gap.

10. teaandscones says:

Also not a fan of apricots. Meh! Were GREAT with ice cream. And whipped cream. And plain….