Tuesdays With Dorie – Tiger Cakes

The nice thing about these Tiger Cakes was that I had everything in my pantry needed to make these… and after a cross country move where I had to clear out much of my pantry, that is saying alot. In fact, the tote that I had my dry goods in was practically obliterated due to a shoddy truck-packing job by the movers. Luckily IKEA makes some amazing glass jars that withstood the move.

One of the things that did not withstand the move was my Almond flour. I had a cooler that I was going to take my Passion Fruit puree in, as well as some Waffluv dough, some Plugra, some brie, almond flour, and some fig jam. Because priorities.

Somewhere along the way the cooler broke and the ice melted and the yeast in the dough… yeasted. We had a Waffluv hot air balloon in the cooler, which caused the puree and the butter to melt, and the brie to go bad. To make things worse, somewhere along the way the puree shifted and spilled into the broken cooler. It was a comedy of culinary errors in the middle of Nowhere, Missouri. And we had no perishable items left. Mostly I cried over the puree. The dough I will have to figure out in my spare time.

Anyway, my 10 lb bag of Callebaut white chocolate *did* make it, which is the whole reason I was packing the cooler in the first place. I figured I should break it out as a decorative element on these tea cakes. As Iris Apfel says, “more is more, and less is a bore”. Gilding the lilly. I will say that I couldn’t imagine these without the ganache. And as pretty as that little dab of white chocolate ganache is, it really did add a nice contrast of flavor.

Since I also needed almond flour, and I had a bag of blanched, slivered almonds, I toasted them up before grinding them to add some extra depth of flavor. And I didn’t grind them quite so fine for a bit of extra bite.

A few technical notes: I used approximately 3 tsp of batter per cake. Also, I thoroughly sprayed my mold and had no issues with getting the cakes out. I had three recalcitrant cakes, but a few solid raps with the mold on the counter per Dorie’s instructions took care of that.

Overall, not a lot of effort leading to a delicious reward. Easily elegant, with a complex flavor and texture that I couldn’t quite get enough of. I think browning the butter on top of it would have really worked too. Maybe next time. I am thinking also that a great riff on this would be with white chocolate and freeze dried strawberries. Yum!

This entry was posted in Baking, Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Tiger Cakes

1. Sounds like a rather stressful move! But they look wonderful so well done 🙂

2. peggythebaker says:

Moving is always challenging! Glad the Callebaut survived and you certainly did a lovely job on the Tiger Cakes. Mine stuck like crazy. It may have been due to uneven temperature in my oven–nonetheless, I am thinking I want to invest in silicone mini-muffiin pans.

3. Busy Oven says:

Beautiful cakes! It’s amazing how much a little bit of white chocolate ganache can dress something up!

Ah, the joys of moving. Your little tiger cakes are gorgeous, and the rosette of white chocolate on top was a nice touch.

I agree with your sentiments about the ganache. I am glad that some of your items made the move. I hope all is going well with your new job.

6. They are picture perfect! I’m so impressed you have continued to bake and post with so much going on.

7. oh no– what a mess! the cooler incident, I mean…not the cakes, which look totally gorgeous with their little white chocolate stars.

8. Your cooler, your use of ingredients, your technical notes — all spell a passionate baker. The white chocolate stars look so fancy on the cakes. Nice post!

I love the white chocolate ganache on top of the cakes, perfect. Moving is never a fun time,
    sorry you had such a difficult time.

10. Oh the carnage!!! I would have been so upset to lose my precious food commodities, so I commend your calmness. At least the Callebaut was saved! And it looks awesome on top of your Tiger Cakes — so professional!

11. Ei says:

My family just completed a move to Virginia from Italy. I would have been SO upset if some of my more precious food items (olive oils, tartuffo spread) didn’t survive the move, so I can sincerely say THAT’S TERRIBLE!! I’m glad you saved your white chocolate, and enjoyed these cakes.

What a shame about your lost ingredients. I would have been upset about the passionfruit puree too!. Pretty cakes though…