Tuesdays With Dorie – Apple Kuchen

I’m baaaaack…

I ditched my crappie springform pans before I moved because they were low quality and not holding together right. Of course that means that my first recipe back required springforms. Of course. I wound up using a regular cake pan, and then just cut back one apple from the filling to make it work.

Being out of the kitchen for three weeks requires a refocusing. I was thinking that Florida did great things for the hydration level of my pastry, which I later realized was because I used whole eggs in my tart pastry instead of just yolks. I had to scrap the dough and start over. Although I did find the hydration improved once I got it right, which also resulted in the dough being a little too frozen in the 15 minute chill period which caused my tart shell to completely break when trying to line my pan. I didn’t have any apple liqueur so I used cointreau, which turned out quite lovely, I thought, though that touch and the lemon in the tart shell were rather lost in the baking process. I liked the final product, but didn’t love it.

Nevertheless I am looking forward to being back at it. I have to find some time to catch up on the jam filled cookies from last week before too long. I will say that I did carry my Doris books separately, and all my other books are currently still packed while I shop around for a new bookcase. šŸ˜€

This entry was posted in Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Apple Kuchen

1. I think a lot of us had issues with the pastry breaking! Welcome back!

Your kuchen looks lovely, but I agree the pastry part was painful Mine was definitely a patch job. Like you, I thought it was OK, but not wonderful.

3. Good to see you back in action! I enjoyed this one, apart from the torture of lining the pan with the crust!

4. Can’t imagine what it feels to be away from the kitchen for weeks. You tackled this not-so-straight forward recipe well. Like your new pan!

This was one delicious dessert, we all loved it no matter how messy it was. I love that you sprinkled confectioners sugar on top, looks wonderful.

The cointreau sounds like a lovely flavour to add to this dessert – unfortunate it didn’t come through in the baked tourte. I quite liked this even though I didn’t like dealing with the crust.

I had to patch together my pastry, too, but it healed beautifully when it baked. I found the rum I used came through subtly and I added a bit more lemon zest in with the apples, so that helped, too. You should definitely try the cookies – those were a favourite for most of us, I think.

8. teaandscones says:

Glad to see you back. Kuchen looks just right.

That crust was a nightmare. It turned out fine in the end but it looked like a bad patchwork quilt before I put the filling in.

Welcome back and I hope you are settled. We had similar issues with crust, burnt raisins and just ok reviews. Of course my husband loved it.

10. I’m so glad to be cooking with this group and to get to know everyone! Your kuchen looks great šŸ™‚