Tuesdays With Dorie – Plum Crumb Tart

IMG_20150810_200423

I am writing this on Monday night after having just downed a slice of this fantastic tart. I totally didn’t have time to make this over the weekend and didn’t want to miss the challenge. I made Duck Breasts with Fresh Peaches from AMFT for dinner tonight, which was amazing, but I had to dine and dash to make sure I caught the last of the fading sunlight for a picture.ย Ah the life of a food blogger!

A number of stressors in my life (Tune in on Wednesday for the Official Big News!) found me forgetting to weight my tart, causing it to take on altogether too much color. The up side is that it didn’t puff as I took it right from the freezer to the oven, and I did a little crust shield to keep the edges from taking on more color than i deemed appropriate. ๐Ÿ˜‡ I had issues with the dough to begin with though. My dough broke, so I wound up cobbling together a frankentart press in shell. I feel like at some point I was careless with my process, which isn’t altogether surprising considering what’s going on in my life, and then it was all down hill from there. Luckily the taste wasn’t affected too much. Just a little more nutty flavor, which complemented the Frangipane. (ETA: looking at everyone else’s tart color, they are all dark too, so maybe it isn’t overbaked after all… Phew)

In BCM, Dorie writes about how Cherry season arrives in abundance, and then is gone just as fast, which is pretty much how I wound up using beautiful plums instead. A few weeks ago cherries were EVERYWHERE, and now all that remains are a few decomposing bags of cherries in the supermarket. The plums were amazing though, and I don’t regret using them one bit. Plus it sounded great! Plum… Crumb… Tart. ๐Ÿ˜„ I got all fancy with arranging my plums but I could just have easily cubed it all because it was all covered by the crumb. And this, as with many Dorie recipes, is easily adaptable to whatever is in season. Also, I didn’t use Orange zest, but did use Cointreau in the cream. So good.

Anyway, on to the next challenge!

This entry was posted in Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Plum Crumb Tart

Like minds think a like. I too made the duck breasts with peaches from AMFT. I had waited until peaches were in season to make it. I am impressed that you made this after work. I always save Dorie’s recipes for the weekend if I can. Look forward to the big announcement. Cute pictures of your little dog.

In all fairness I had a 6 am conference call, so I got out early. ๐Ÿ˜‡ Generally I save Dorie recipes for the weekend too. Our doggies are so cute, and they love attention!

2. Your tart looks so pretty, and sounds wonderfully delicious! The Duck Breasts with peaches were a favorite in my house. I made them awhile back with French Fridays. A winner for sure!

Your plum tart looks devine. Hope that life is a little smoother now.

4. Despite all the stresses, you did well with the tart. Not to mention the duck with peaches. Pat yourself on the back for all the wonderful food you’ve created, under pressure.

Your tart looks wonderful! The beauty of that crust recipe is that it looks just as good pressed into the pan as it does rolled out. The plums sound like a delicious alternative to the cherries.

You are so right! Since the tart is covered up, no one knows what it looks like if you aren’t as elegant with it. ๐Ÿ˜‡

6. Plum sounds great! I used blueberries which worked out wonderful too!

Your tart looks wonderful, plums are perfect for this and I think I will try that very soon. I think
    any fruit would work perfectly.

8. plum crumb sounds perfect! and big congratulations on your on work news…best of luck with moving house. even though i’m staying put, a little purging could do me some good, too.

Thanks! It’s going to be an intense three weeks! Most of our kitchen is packed up.๐Ÿ˜ข

9. Your foodie life sounds fantastic, all those delicious dishes! And I agree, I spent time arranging the fruit and then it was covered up. But so deliciously covered up!

10. Like the name, Plumb Crumb Tart. ๐Ÿ™‚ I can just imagine how delicious this was made with plumbs. Good luck in your move!

I love the duck with fresh peaches! I should revisit that. And the beauty of this crust is that it mends itself beautifully in the oven. I loved this dish and I bet it would be great with plums.

Yes, it does mend itself perfectly! It teaches me the lesson to not be so hyper focused on details that will sort themselves out!

12. I almost had to pick another fruit as well. I pounced on the last delivery of cherries at one of my local stores and thank goodness they were still tasty. I bet this was fabulous with plums as well.

13. We were lucky to have cherries on sale for this one. This crust is one of the most delicious and forgiving that I’ve ever made!