Tuesdays With Dorie – Apricot and Raspberry Tart

Untitled design(2)Of course I can’t leave well enough alone, because when I saw Dorie’s “Bon Idée” to use Almond Cream (Frangipane), I was all “oui, oui!” I’ve never known it to not make anything better. And I love anything that challenges my timing and organization.

I also did make the ladyfingers, but once I started assembling everything with the Frangipane I opted not to use them. The fruit would have been sitting very high above the tart shell. They turned out better now that I have acquired an appropriately sized piping tip. Not so flat!

I got beautiful apricots and rasperries from the Wheeler Farm farmer’s market (what a difference a week makes in terms of produce availability), and the raspberries were so sweet and juicy that it was a good thing I only needed a scant handful of them, since I did proceed to eat most of them during my day in the kitchen. The up side, of course, to natural produce is that they don’t spray with pesticides. The down side is that sometimes an ear wig happens to scurry out of one of your apricots as you are cutting it in half, and you fling the apricot across the kitchen as you scream real loud. *Shudder*

On a side note, I used a 10″ porcelain tart plate. I went out looking for a slightly smaller version with removable bottom, but couldn’t find one. I, instead, invested in Dorie’s “Around My French Table”! I am four years too late for FFWD, but that is not going to stop me from working through it. I already made the Cola and Jam spare ribs, so stay tuned for that tomorrow.

This entry was posted in Baking, Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Apricot and Raspberry Tart

I am glad that the Bon Idee version came out well, it looks good. I will follow your journey in Around My French Table as I joined the group late also. I managed to cook one year with the group. I vowed to keep cooking. Good luck.

Your tart looks lovely. I didn’t even see the bin ideee, but the frangipane makes the ladyfinger crumbs redundant, I think.

You are right. I made the ladyfingers, but wound up leaving them out. I guess I will have to eat them another time. It’s a hard knock life!

3. your tart looks beautiful! the earwig in the apricot sounds familiar; I have a garden and am always bringing critters into the house in fresh picked produce

4. Patty says:

Beautiful tart, love the almond cream and your gorgeous fruit 😉

5. I like it that you have made with frangipane. Your tart looks delicious!

6. Ooh, which tip did you use for your ladyfingers? And your tart looks fabulous!

Your tart looks just lovely. I’m glad you enjoyed the bonne idee variation. It sounds delicious.

8. Tricia S says:

Oh yours looks lovely ! I am used to having a bit of a custard or jam or such lining the bottom and was worried that mine was too dry. I had eyed that bonne idée but did not have time to pull it off this time around (I must get more organized and read these recipes earlier – LOL). Your tart has sealed the decision for next time ! Enjoy AMFT – my Mom (aka Nana) and I just finished up that one (including far too many catch ups that I finally caught up on 🙂 and it is a fabulous book.

Yeah… I saw tarts without any lining and just thought I needed it. I think it would have been OK, but the cream definitely took it up a notch!

9. I agree with you about Frangipane making everything better. I thought of using it, but I had to minify my tarts…so going with the ladyfingers worked out perfect for me. Gorgeous tart, Nicole!
    Good luck with cooking through AMFT…It was a fun journey. I have learned so much from that book.

Thanks! I know the ladyfingers will get eaten. I can’t decide if that means making a tiramisu, or just whipping some cream and getting some fresh berries to eat it with!

I missed the Bon idea! You tart looks amazingly delicious, mine needed more sugar but I bet the frangipan in your tart lent it the right amount of sweetness.

Yes! I think the Frangipane definitely helps out the sweetness. The suggestion was on the back page of the recipe, so it is easy to have missed.

• Summer says:

Thanks Nicole! I would not have spotted it in a million years on my own. Wow that does sound as delicious as I thought your tart looked. I made a note of it and I’m so using almond cream next time I make this tart.

Yeah! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Believe it or not, I do not like either raspberry or apricots and thought about using Frangipane too,
    but in the end I decided to just go for the fruit and hubby could eat it all week. That said, when
    I tasted the whole thing when it was finished I loved the fruit combination with Dorie’s sweet tart
    dough. Good luck with AMFT, you are going to have a lot of fun with that book.

Oh man! It was so good. I hope you will try a fruit that you do like next time, but glad to hear how much you liked this. Dorie seems to have that magic touch on pretty much everything but coconut tapioca! 😂

12. the frangipane filling is definitely perfect for these two fruits. looks delicious (and glad to hear all ear wigs were captured before baking)!

13. I thought the almond cream was amazing! Around My French Table is definitely a worthy investment. You should just read up on all the old FFWD posts so that you can make sure to make all the best recipes!