Tuesdays With Dorie – Strawberry Shortcakes, Franco-American Style

Untitled design(2)When I first told my husband that this was the second recipe selected for June, he wasn’t too thrilled, through personally this was one I had voted for. When it came down to it, it turns out he was expecting a Bisquick Biscuit-style dessert. No wonder he wasn’t looking forward to it, though he should know me (by way of Dorie) better than that after 12 years of marriage!

And delicious these shortcakes were. It almost became Cherry shortcakes, as cherries are EVERYWHERE at the Farmer’s market right now… Berries haven’t quite come into season yet. However, next week I need to make up the brown sugar upside down rhubarb thingamajig, and THAT will likely be made with cherries. Or apricots. I started to see a few of those at the market this week.

Side note. The ladyfingers required 3″ circles. Am I the only one that seriously considered buying a compass for this? No joke. Although I just went around measuring the bottom of my mixing bowls to find one with a 3″ wide lip. Also, my batter yielded another 10 disks, so we will be having this for a few days. It’s a hard knock life.

So anyway, I wound up roasting 1 lb of the strawberries with the cloves and sugar, and then slicing and macerating another 1 lb of strawberries in 2 tbs of sugar, and then mixed them together. This gave a lovely taste and texture differentiation to the strawberries. Some sort some firm,some really sweet, some a little more tart, and a lovely syrup to go with it. The cloves really emphasized the berry-ness, and I am glad I added them.

This entry was posted in Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Strawberry Shortcakes, Franco-American Style

1. I was nervous about the cloves so left them out—but will try a sprinkle in my next batch. And I wish I would have added some fresh berries, too. Terrific idea!!!

• The 2nd 35 Years says:

I was a little nervous about the cloves too, but you don’t really taste them… It just emphasizes the strawberry-ness with the cloves. I highly recommend!

2. Amy says:

Your cake looks yummy! I’m glad I’m not the only one that measures kitchen equipment to get the right shape/size.

3. Ooooh, cherry shortcakes sound FABULOUS! As does cherry upside-down cake! Can I come live at your house? 🙂

4. We thought these were fabulous! I love the idea of mixing the roasted and fresh berries together…great idea! Yours look lovely! These really were a perfect summer dessert!

Oooh, the cherry shortcake idea is a winner – I love cherries.

A cherry variation sound delicious, though I did love the combination of fresh and roasted strawberries too.

I did the same thing about the measurements. Your cakes look great, I can definitely see
    using other fruits for this one.

8. Denise says:

I have a set of round cutters in all different sizes, so that wasn’t a problem. I wish I had piped them a bit thicker, but loved the ladyfinger taste and lightness. Cherries are my absolute favorite summer fruit, so that does sound like a winner to me!

9. Hmm I left out the cloves, was a little worried about that. You aren’t the only one who measures!! Thankfully our glasses were just about 3in 🙂 Great job! It is so interesting to hear about where everyone else lives…and strawberries coming into season. I think here in so cal I can buy them at the strawberry field Feb-Sept 🙂

10. Katrina says:

Cherries would probably be my family’s favorite. I’ll have to try that next time. I have a whole set of round cutters, so the 3″ was easy for me. From donut hole size to I think 5 inches. Nice to have. They are stainless steel, too, and all fit in one little container.
    Love how simple this one was.

• The 2nd 35 Years says:

You totally remind me that I have a set of scone/biscuit cutters that would have worked perfectly for this! Next time, I suppose! (Can’t believe I forgot)

11. We loved this recipe at our house. I just ended up using a kids’ cup to draw my circles, but I did pull out a ruler to measure!

12. Brenda says:

My dad’s an engineer and I actually did borrow his compass for the circles. How silly is that?

I don’t think it is silly at all! Clearly I would have done so myself if I had one! The more I think on it, the better the idea sounds!