Tuesdays With Dorie – Brown Butter and Vanilla Bean Weekend Cake

As I mentioned previously, I picked up a copy of Dorie Greenspan’s Baking Chez Moi on eBay for a song! I have been drooling over her recipes for some time, and decided to participate in Tuesdays With Dorie.

This week’s recipe is Brown Butter and Vanilla Bean Weekend Cake. The cake has the consistency of a pound cake with a very delicate flavor. The crust tastes of caramelized sugar! And the whole thing mixes up in less than 30 minutes (not including bake time). Instead of paying $11.99 for two limp, flaccid, flavorless, dried out Vanilla Beans from the supermarket, I substituted with Vanilla Bean paste (Nielsen-Massey), using as much as the recipe called for Vanilla extract.

I will say that the aroma of this cake baking is maddening! I nearly wanted to eat the oven while I was baking it off. Even though Dorie says to wait a day for the flavors to develop further, there is just no way.

This is definitely a keeper! More of a tea cake, I think, than a dessert cake, but still equally delicious!

This entry was posted in Baking Chez Moi | Dorie Greenspan, Dessert and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Tuesdays With Dorie – Brown Butter and Vanilla Bean Weekend Cake

1. Cher says:

Oh, I love their vanilla bean paste – that wasa great option!
    This cake was a keeper, wasn’t it?

2. ok seriously, I really need a piece of this cake now! It looks fabulous and I can imagine the amazing smells wafting from the oven!
    PS: what is the difference between vanilla paste and vanilla powder? My cousin gave me some vanilla powder in lieu of using extract…is it similar to paste as far as the potency? I love vanilla flavor and wanted the most vanilla-y flavor I could find..she gave me the powder for some cookies I’ll make this weekend!
    Thanks always for sharing these amazing recipes with us!

• The 2nd 35 Years says:

Vanilla paste is like a vanilla extract syrup chock full of vanilla beans. It’s probably the most vanilla-y flavor you can get. Vanilla powder is, I think, just powdered extract. Alot of times you use the beans for the look as well as the taste, which you don’t get otherwise. Also, you get more vanilla seeds for the money than you do other ways. You will have to try it out and let me know your thoughts on the powder!

• Oh thanks! I knew you’d know the answer!! I see… So next time for big vanilla flavor, I’ll go for the paste! I’m sure the powder will be ok enough but I love amped up vanilla flavor!
        Have a great Tuesday !

3. Kayte says:

LOL on the aroma of the cake baking, I was thinking the same thing. Your cake looks perfect. Nice to know re the vanilla exchange, I’m always all about the learning from these blog posts and this is good to know. πŸ™‚

4. I also used Nelson-Massey vanilla bean paste. I love that stuff! Your cake looks simply beautiful! A keeper for sure! Happy Tuesday!

5. tammycirceo says:

I almost liked the batter more than the baked cake! Delicious!

6. Leah says:

Your cake looks beautiful and I love your description of the crust tasting like caramelized sugar. The scent while this baked was heavenly and I definitely didn’t wait a day to eat my first piece.

Welcome to TWD!
    Your cake looks wonderful! Great idea to use vanilla paste; I used a whole bean for this cake but the paste would have worked perfectly.

Beautiful cake and so easy to prepare. Definitely a repeat.

9. I’m a huge fan of vanilla bean paste, too! Great idea!

10. Margaret says:

Vanilla paste sounds great — where did you get yours? And I’m so jealous that you got the book for a song — lucky you! πŸ™‚

11. It did smell great! I like your big thick pieces πŸ™‚

12. The kitchen was filled with the most wonderful aroma as it baked away. The crispy, sweet crust was my favorite part. I love the look of your thick slices!

Yes, the aroma was amazing. My entire place smelled wonderful, too.

14. Yup, no waiting in my house either. It just smells too wonderful.