WIP Wednesday

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Excitingly enough, I have a new start to share today: the beginnings of my Clouds Factory Zodiac SAL! As anticipated, the pattern is an easy change up from Teresa Wentzler’s Tradewinds… With the exception of the border, of course.

The border is stitched in DMC’s rayon/satin floss. As anyone who has used the stuff knows, it’s a bitch to work with. It tangles very quickly. I was planning on replacing it with something else, but the sheen is just irreplaceable. Although my LNS didn’t have the Satin floss, I did replace it with Anchor Marlitt. Thread Heaven helps to minimize the tangling, but doesn’t eliminate it altogether. It’s pretty slow-going between maintaining the tension and fixing tangles. But it is so pretty!

As previously mentioned, I am working on 32-ct Lugana in “Dream” by Sunny Dyes. I thought it would be challenging to work because the sparkles are painted on top, but it really isn’t at all. And the effect his exactly what I had hoped for. I took this picture with my lovely new DSLR and it is a perfect representation of the color.

image

Nothing much to say about Trade winds except that I have filled in more of the sails. I think that after I finish this installment of the Zodiac SAL, I will actually pick up Plight of Fancy, put on my big girl underpants, and just move the snaps around. It has been calling my name, so look for some progress on it next week!

image

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to WIP Wednesday

  1. suzemo says:

    I started wondering if I could have stuck with the satin if my piece of material wasn’t belfast (not that the dyed fabric would have been as awesome on lugana anyway). I really wondered if the looser weave of the belfast was exacerbating the slippage issue. I’ve found that the contrast between the regular DMC3820 and the dark fabric meant that I didn’t mind losing the sheen πŸ™‚

    And I *almost* finished the frame last night, looked at it and realized one of my circles is wrong, so I’ll have to frog two (the placement, so it’s bad). I wish we’d gotten the frame sooner, I want to get that in place (to make sure my design is adequately centered because I’m terrible at that), before stitching the first guy.

    tl;dr – I’m so jealous of your Cloudsfactory progress! It looks great!

    • The 2nd 35 Years says:

      I can definitely see that if you have a looser Belfast weave it would definitely exacerbate the satin slipping with each stitch, would frankly be more frustration than I could take! I could see potentially using a laying tool in a situation like that, but if you are happy with your sub I would not think twice about it. Think of all the frustration you are saving yourself!

      Luckily my fabric is a fat half, so i can afford a few stitches off on placement, if I miscounted one or two. Meh. I did consider pre-stitching the border, but even with all of the thread heaven, it’s enough of a bother to only want to do it once a month. πŸ˜‡

      Can’t wait to see yours too!

  2. thegreytail says:

    promising start! I detest how some of those threads can ruin your stitching sessions, I resorted to silks. way nicer to see and they do behave without having to raise your voice. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜›

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s